Last year I decided that I needed to cross something off my bucket list. I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. So I went to the music store, bought a guitar, and took lessons for six weeks. Fast forward to the end of those six weeks, and I felt like I had wasted my time. I thought the guitar would be a lot more fun. It was really big and hard for me to handle. It was bulky. And clunky. I was left with not just blistered fingers, but blistered expectations.
Not long after that, I saw a YouTube video with someone playing a ukulele. And a little bell went off in my head. Wow, I thought. That looks like a lot of fun! That’s just what I’m looking for! So I went back to the music store and bought one. It was actually a concert size ukulele. (Who knew that ukuleles came in different sizes)? I started watching YouTube videos on how to play and it was actually much easier for me than the guitar. It was smaller and easier to handle. It was really portable. It had less strings than a guitar and this was easier for me as well. I was playing better on the ukulele in 2 days then I had played on the guitar in 6 weeks! I was hooked. Here are some reasons why I love the ukelele:
- They’re cute. You try looking at this thing without smiling! They come in all different shapes, sizes, and colors.
- They’re popular. You see more and more ukuleles in music videos now than ever. They’re very mainstream. If Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson plays one, they are pretty cool.
- They’re inexpensive. You can find them on Amazon for as little as $15. Of course if you want one that is fairly decent, plan on spending a bit more than that.
- They’re fun! Fun to play, fun to take with you wherever you go. They are a great conversation starter.
- They’re easy to play. With a few less strings than the regular guitar, the ukulele is easy to play. Even a beginner like me plays pretty good, and I can’t read music!
What’s stopping you from getting a ukulele? I’ll talk to you soon.
Thank you, Bing free to share and use, for the image featured above!